Day-care provider charged under Fire Code

Missing carbon monoxide alarms have led to a home day-care provider bring charged under the Ontario Fire Code.

St. Catharines firefighters discovered the alarms were missing after responding to a kitchen fire at 70 York St. on Oct. 13.

The fire department responded to the call at about 12:50 p.m., found light smoke on arrival and quickly extinguished the small fire.

Eight children, ranging in age from nine months to two-and-a-half years old, were at the day care at the time and evacuated by the owner without injury.

Three dogs and five cats also escaped without issue.

Damage to the property is estimated between $40,000 and $50,000.

Fire Chief Dave Wood said the day care had working smoke alarms.

The Ontario Fire Code requires that carbon monoxide alarms be installed outside sleeping areas and in service rooms when a property has fuel burning furnaces or appliances, fireplaces and attached garages.

The property allegedly did not have working carbon monoxide alarms installed in sleeping areas or in the basement apartment.